Geli (Growing Energy Labs, Inc.) is looking for experienced and enthusiastic senior software engineers striving to be innovators at the forefront of the rapidly expanding energy storage industry.
Software engineers at Geli contribute to the full life cycle of projects--from the initial design, development, and documentation, to testing and bug fixing. They have strong problem solving skills and are able to work independently to push tasks to completion. Development is a collaborative effort due to the highly interdependent nature of our software and requires that developers see the big picture and understand how their contributions function within and affect the greater software organization.
Geli’s software, the Geli Energy Operating System (Geli EOS), brings together multiple concepts to control energy systems ranging from small residential to multi-megawatt deployments that utilize energy storage often in conjunction with other energy sources such as solar or wind. An understanding of power systems, electrical grid & smart grid concepts, utility rate structures, and wholesale energy markets is helpful.
- BS or MS in Computer Science or related technical discipline
- At least three years of development and programming experience
- Deep Java knowledge and related frameworks like Spring
- Experience with Postgres, Liquibase
- Experience with message bus protocols and servers (AMQP/MQTT/STOMP; Kafka, RabbitMQ)
- Solid experience developing software for deployment in a Linux environment
- Experience with SCADA systems and protocols such as Modbus, CANbus, and DNP3
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Evolve Geli’s core EOS platform and enhance its capabilities
- Develop hardware drivers for Geli’s EOS to facilitate connectivity to new hardware(Inverters, BMSs, smart meters, etc.)
- Research and recommend software tools and methods
- Respond promptly and professionally to bug reports
- Plan work, estimate tasks and help create schedules to deliver projects on time
- Document code consistently throughout the development process and maintain up-to-date documentation
Nice to have, but not necessary to be a successful candidate:
- Familiarity with agile, scrum, and continuous integration/deployment
- Experience with embedded operating systems, IoT, sensor networks, power systems
- Experience with IoT style infrastructure including OTA update systems
- Experience with protocols such as SEP 2.0 and OpenADR
- Familiarity or working knowledge of Python, Bash scripting
- Data Analytics, knowledge of mathematical and statistical principles
- Utility Grid & Markets
- Software and Network Security
- Project Management
Benefits of working at Geli
- Competitive salary commensurate with experience
- 401K with company matching
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance
- Flexible vacation policy
- Commuter reimbursement
- Convenient SOMA location on Mission St in downtown San Francisco (short walk to Montgomery Street BART)
- Make a difference: join a group of people who are passionate about renewable energy
- Have an impact: the company is still small enough that everyone’s contribution has a significant impact to the success of the company
- There are opportunities to lead teams, projects, and feature development.
- Casual working environment: there’s no need to dress up.
- Work collaboratively in a diverse environment. We commit to reaching better decisions by respecting opinions and working through disagreements.
We value the insights that a diverse team can bring. We encourage applications from members of groups that have been traditionally underrepresented in tech. Geli is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin.
Geli is a wholly owned subsidiary of Q CELLS, one of the world’s largest and most recognized photovoltaic manufacturers for its high-performance, high-quality solar cells and modules.
Imagine a world where there is less reliance on non-renewable power, where you source your electricity from your neighbors rather than from power stations hundreds of miles away and software makes the best possible use of the solar, wind and battery storage available. This is our vision - the "Internet of Energy” (IoEn). Geli provides software and business solutions to design, connect, and operate energy storage systems ranging in size from residential to utility-scale, as well as grid-tied, microgrid, and off-grid systems.
We are looking for enthusiastic engineers that are not only fluent in technology, but also share our vision of a world running on 100% renewable energy.