Geli is looking for an experienced optimization engineer with a software development background in Python to join our Data Science team. Geli is innovating the way distributed energy resources are controlled, and the optimization engineer will help refine and develop the algorithms which are at the heart of it all. As applications of energy resources continue to proliferate and evolve, our formulation of economic objectives needs to be updated to reflect these changes. The optimization engineer will formulate these new objectives, refine methods to hedge against uncertainty, and collaborate with our forecasting data scientists to maximize expected savings. Our data analytics and cloud platforms use state-of-the-art technologies to set you up for success. Since optimization is at the core of Geli, you will have plenty of opportunities to learn about and contribute to the software development of our other energy storage software products.
You will work closely with the rest of the data science, product, and software engineering teams to do the following:
- Collaborate with product managers to understand program requirements and market rules
- Translate program and market rules into DER (Distributed Energy Resources) scheduling and dispatch optimization models including:
- Wholesale electricity markets, demand response, behind the meter incentives and rules
- Develop constraints and penalties to drive heuristic behaviors
- Develop, unit test, and document object-oriented Python code
- Write Python code to manipulate and analyze timeseries data
- Collaboratively review and revise pull requests with your teammates
- Collaborate with the forecasting team on probabilistic forecasting and optimization approaches
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of our simulation codebase that we use for evaluating algorithm performance and DER economics
- Conduct batch simulation experiments to tune models and parameters for maximum performance
- Troubleshoot optimizer software operational issues and use operations data to improve algorithms
- Provide support to sales engineers and operations on the best optimizer software configuration
We are looking for a motivated self-starter that thrives in a dynamic environment. A strong work ethic with excellent problem solving skills are equally important as being a team player who enjoys to learn and teach. These skills will additionally help you to excel in the position:
- M.S. in science or engineering with 3+ years of industry experience developing optimization models for energy applications
- Experience with optimization modeling packages such as PYOMO, CVXPY, or solver APIs (e.g. Gurobi, Cplex, Xpress)
- Experience with Python libraries for numerical methods and timeseries data (NumPy, Pandas, SciPy, datetime)
- Strong theoretical background on Linear Programming, MIP, and Convex Optimization and solution algorithms
- Strong background in linear algebra and statistics
- Experience in collaborative software development environment (version tracking with Git, code reviews)
- Ability to write clean, maintainable, tested and shippable production code
- Ability to cooperate with other engineers, and focus on team goals
- Knowledge of machine learning algorithms (time series forecasting, clustering algorithms, probabilistic models, supervised and unsupervised learning)
- Databases: PostgreSQL, Django
- Knowledge of Cloud, IoT technologies, and scalable platforms (Docker, AWS, Kubernetes)
As a member of the team you will have significant influence on the direction of our technology stack.
- Competitive salary commensurate with experience
- 401K with company matching
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance
- Flexible vacation policy
- Commuter reimbursement
- Convenient SOMA location on Mission St in downtown San Francisco (short walk to Montgomery Street BART)
- Make a difference: join a group of people who are passionate about renewable energy
- Have an impact: the company is still small enough that everyone’s contribution has a significant impact to the success of the company
- There are opportunities to lead teams, projects, and feature development.
- Casual working environment: there’s no need to dress up.
- Work collaboratively in a diverse environment. We commit to reaching better decisions by respecting opinions and working through disagreements.
We value the insights that a diverse team can bring. We encourage applications from members of groups that have been traditionally underrepresented in tech. Geli is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin.
Geli is a wholly owned subsidiary of Q CELLS, one of the world’s largest and most recognized photovoltaic manufacturers for its high-performance, high-quality solar cells and modules.
Imagine a world where there is less reliance on non-renewable power, where you source your electricity from your neighbors rather than from power stations hundreds of miles away and software makes the best possible use of the solar, wind and battery storage available. This is our vision - the "Internet of Energy” (IoEn). Geli provides software and business solutions to design, connect, and operate energy storage systems ranging in size from residential to utility-scale, as well as grid-tied, microgrid, and off-grid systems.
We are looking for enthusiastic engineers that are not only fluent in technology, but also share our vision of a world running on 100% renewable energy.